01 Dec Speed – ‘essence of life’
We have all heard of the age old story, ‘Slow and steady wins the race’. That’s not true any more . In today’s world, it’s the ‘Fast and Consistent’ that has a chance to win the race. And with this ‘speed’ stability, positive attitude, flexibility, adaptability, clear thinking, goal clarity and many other attributes act as necessary ingredients.
I recall a story. A boy was running to Mecca. En-route he stopped to check how far was Mecca. He saw a saint sitting in meditation under a tree. ‘Baba ji, how far is Mecca?’, asked the boy. There was no answer. He repeated his question. Silence prevailed. When a third attempt also failed to get a response, he cursed him and started running. As he took a few steps, he heard a voice from behind, ‘it will take you half an hour to reach Mecca.’ Surprised and angry, the boy asked, couldn’t you say that earlier? The baba ji replied, ‘when u keep standing and ask that question, how can I assess the time you will take?. When I saw your speed I could tell. If you keep standing here and keep asking questions you will never reach Mecca.’
Speed is the essence of life
- Speed of Thought ‘Faster than a bird and slower than sound’. How does it matter?
- Decision making is an essential part of our life in all spheres. And quick and sound decision making wins whereas slow and deliberate decision may fail.
- We also need to have a clear goal and clear vision. This needs practice and use of some tools like ‘mind mapping’ etc.
- Efficiency and managing work.
- Appropriate timing.
- Speed of Action. Once a task / mission is fixed, comes the importance of planning and execution / implementation. An individual who masters the art of doing things quickly, maintain quality, takes a lead as he finds time to think ahead and plan the next step.
- Speed of Change. The only thing that is constant is change, as its is commonly said. We all change. There is no option. But how fast can you affect a change is a matter of concern. Under tremendous pressure of today’s world of deadlines, speed and efficiency has become more important than ever before